Having grown up in a household with an Italian mom, I loved Italian food. Especially anything with pasta! My mom made this lasagna (which very well could have been a recipe from the side of the lasagna noodle box), but I really like it. It’s easy to make, but if you don’t have time to make the sauce, you can always buy bottled pasta sauce and use that instead.
I usually add other things to it too:
- Veggies like squash, zucchini, red peppers, mushrooms, etc. Just make sure to pan fry them first to get a bit of the moisture out first as well as to really bring out the flavors of the veggies.
- Ground meat (or even ground meatless, if you want to make it vegetarian).
- I even like adding some steamed spinach. Make sure to squeeze out the extra water first.
You can either use cooked lasagna noodles (and cook them first according to the package directions) or you can buy no-cook noodles at places like Trader Joe’s. If you do that, be sure to use lots of sauce and spread it over all the noodles.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced (I use bottled minced garlic)
Two 15 ounce cans tomato sauce
One 6 ounce can tomato paste
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Heat oil in medium saucepan on medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until tender. Stir in tomato sauce, tomato paste and sugar. Simmer 10-15 minutes.
One 16 ounce container ricotta cheese (I recommend whole milk vs. reduced fat, since that has a lot of water, but if you do reduced fat, be sure to drain it first)
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
In medium bowl, blend ricotta and eggs. Stir in mozzarella, Parmesan, parsley flakes, salt and pepper.
Making the Lasagna:
You’ll also need a box of lasagna noodles and an additional cup of shredded mozzarella.
- Make pasta according to box directions (unless using no-cook noodles).
- Pour half of sauce on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Put one layer of pasta, cover with half of the filling, add half of any meat, veggies, etc.
- Put another layer of pasta down, then the rest of the filling, the rest of the meat, veggies, etc.
- Put the last layer of pasta down, cover with remaining sauce, and then put the 1 cup of shredded mozzarella on top.
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for about 45-50 minutes.